Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I am so embarrased


The Monster at the end of this book was one of my favorites as a kid. If you’ve never read the story, Grover doesn’t want the reader to turn the pages and keep reading because he’ll have to deal with the monster at the end of the book. The thing is, the end of the book reveals that Grover is the monster. I think the last line on the last page is “Oh, I am so embarrassed.”

If you’re alive, you’ve probably been embarrassed. For me, it is in those moments when my self-esteem can waver and falter. We don’t want others to think less of us because we make a mistake. Some people can become so preoccupied with what others might think of them that they won’t try—anything. Been there, done that and I don’t think it’s a good way to go through life. Yeah, if you never try you can’t really fail, but if you never try, you can’t succeed either, right? IF you try, you MIGHT say something funny that makes someone laugh, say something intelligent and someone is impressed, you MIGHT even have the answer someone is looking for. If you don’t try, you’ll never know.

But say you did try, and it, uh, didn’t go so well. You are getting embarrassed. Instead of asking yourself “Why did I do that? Why did I say that? Why did I try?”, ask yourself if it was really a big deal, or was it a simple mistake that anyone could make? If your goof really was a big deal (you forgot something important) figure out what you can learn and avoid making the same mistake again. If it wasn’t a big deal, learn to shrug it off and try something different next time.

Something I try to remember and tell myself is I am probably not the only person in the world or history of time who has done this, made this mistake, had this embarrassing moment. I probably wouldn’t let them beat themselves up about it, so why should I make myself miserable over it. And is it really going to matter over the course of time?

Apologize when necessary, laugh as much as possible, and keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment