Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm Sorry

Ok, all right, I'll admit it. I had a horrible, aweful, rotten morning with my kids this morning. Arguing and yelling-and not just from my kids either. Have I mentioned that I'm not perfect? Well, this morning was a "perfect" example of everbody making bad choices and having bad reactions. In fact, I think I did only one thing right this morning ...

I told my daughters I was sorry. I apologized for yelling and losing my cool. We hugged. I told my daughters we would try to find something fun and nice to do this afternoon since we had such a rough morning. I wasn't looking to give them gifts or bend over backward to make everybody happy. I just wanted to spend some positive time with them after such a negative experience. But my older daughter said and did something that melted my heart and proved to me that saying sorry was the right thing to do. She told me that we didn't have to do anything special this afternoon, she just wanted a hug. Wow.

I choose--no, I make the effort to apologize to my kids if I realize I am wrong. Whether I have gotten after them in error or chastized them too harshly for the particular crime. I want my kids to know that I am not perfect and I do make mistakes. I also hope they will learn from my example of apologizing so that they too can give a sincere apology when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment