Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Biscuit donuts


My family loves donuts (or doughnuts). We have them less and less often, but what is summer vacation without some fun treats. I came across this article in the October 2009 Texas Co-op Power periodical and put it in my recipes to try pile. The story itself is sweet (I encourage you to read the link) and as simple as the directions and ingredients were, I figured I could handle it.

First, make sure to buy the small (as in skinny) can of cheap biscuits. I bought cheap and whole wheat. I used a small saucepan, a candy thermometer, vegetable oil, tongs, and a medicine cup.

Second, make sure you keep an eye on the temperature of the oil. The first time, I didn’t, and the donuts cooked way too fast and burned a bit. Watch the donuts. Even at the correct temp (around 350 with the candy thermometer) they cook quickly.

Third, whole wheat biscuit dough is denser, bigger, and already a light brown to begin with so they don’t cook up well.

I used Ziploc baggies for each of my girls to shake powdered sugar onto their own donuts, so they didn’t have to fight like in the story. Overall, I think everyone enjoyed it. The taste and texture is different from the store bought donuts, but considering the donuts were gone the same day here, I don’t think anybody minded.

Texas Co-op Power Oct 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment