Monday, August 23, 2010

Delicious dish

Peach cobbler in a mug

I came across this recipe earlier this year in my Texas Co-op periodical. The entire article was called "Kitchen Magic for Kids," but this one recipe caught my eye.

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon instant nonfat dry milk
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
dash salt
1 snack-sized container (4 oz) diced peaches, well drained

Microwave butter in mug [coffee mug, minus the coffee], until melted, about 20 seconds on high. Add sugar, flour, dry milk, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and 2 tablespoons water [ahem, why wasn't that listed in the ingredients?] to mug. Sir with fork until well blended, then add peaches on top of batter. Do not stir. Reduce microwave power to 70 percent. Cook for two minutes, then let stand in microwave one minute. Remove from [microwave] oven, and let cool.

I would also recommend using a cooking spray, and you may want to play around with the cooking time to get the desired fluffiness and done-ness. Since each cobbler is made in an individual mug, this worked out well for both of my girls to participate in at the same time and make their own cobbler. I found small kid-safe bowls in my kitchen in which I measured and doled out the ingredients for them to pour in and stir on their own. No fighting over who gets to add what or who stirs! And it really turns out very good! Though it couldn't hurt to add a little ice cream, now would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment